Friday, June 8, 2007

Week 1, Thing #2

7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Learners

  1. Begin with the end in mind.
  2. Accept responsibility for your own learning. *EASIEST*
  3. View problems as challenges. *HARDEST*
  4. Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner.
  5. Create your own learning toolbox.
  6. Use technology to your advantage.
  7. Teach/mentor others.

7 1/2. Play!

Since childhood, learning is what I've always done best. And that is simply because I have always felt excited by learning new concepts, and then rewarded by using them and expressing myself through them. In fact, as a child, I remember having read something about the number of wrinkles in the brain being indicators of a person's intelligence. I latched on to that notion. From then on, every time I learned something new, I would imagine a new wrinkle forming in my brain. So, if an individual naturally loves to learn, I suspect that taking responsibility for one's own learning is a kind of intrinsic and intuitive response.

"View problems as challenges" would have to be the most difficult habit for me. While I believe that I am frequently able to view intellectual, learning-based problems as challenges, it requires more conscious effort for me to feel positive and confident toward those other "life" problems that involve interacting with a variety of people and personalities. I am definitely more a "concept-driven" person than a "socially-driven" person.

No comments: